Main
 
 
PUB Fountain Inn - 1 West Quay  
 

The Fountain is situated on the West Quay and until December 2014 was under the ownership of Victor and Anne Dyle who were there for 3 years.

Earliest recorded licensee was John Clutterbuck in 1714 which makes it one of the oldest surviving pubs.

It is assumed that the building was demolished and rebuilt sometime around 1744.

Present licensee is Becky Webber since 2015

It is also a Grade 2 Listed building

 

PU

During June 2016 the Fountain Inn underwent a major facelift, which saw the pub being redecorated inside and out and when finished was hailed as great success, it was finally finished on 16th.

Landlady Becky Webber along with the brewery held a small re-opening ceremony on the 17th June.

The picture on the right shows the former decor, with the newly decorated exterior of the pub in the top picture which is a geat improvement, with the people of the town being very pleased with it.

 

Landlords to date are as follows
 
WILLIAM  CLUTTERBUCK
1714
1726
JOHN  CLUTTERBUCK
1726
1743
ANN CLUTTERBUCK
1744
1760
PETER COPP
1780
1800
THOMAS GAYLOR
1815
1820
THOMAS BUEPIN
1822
1830
ARTHUR  COX
1840
1848
JOHN   CROCKER
1848
1861
ROBERT DENNER
1861
1870
CHARLES HYDON
1870
1875
JAMES PALMER
1875
1882
HENRY   KNIGHT
1882
1885
HENRY CHUBB
1890
1892
EDWIN S ROBERTS
1891
1897
JOHN SYMONS
1892
1895
H ELLSWORTHY
1895
1900
WILLIAM  SMITH
1897
1901
WILLIAM  WILKINSON
1900
1902
HENRY JOB  HUCKER
1902
1907
DAVID  LLOYD
1907
1908
JOHN EDWARD  COLE
1908
1910
HENRY GEORGE  PHILLIPS
1910
1918
ELIZABETH MARY nee NORMAN SARGENT
1918
1920
LEONARD STANLEY  CROCKER
1951
1977
RONALD AND ANN MCNEIL
1977
1990
DAVID & SANDRA CHANDLER
1995
2000
ROGER GREGORY & DENISE  BURGESS
2000
2010
EMMA MARY GOVER
2008
2008
JOANNE  SKUSE
2008
2009
DANIEL ANTHONY KELLY
2009
2010
ISABELLE PATRICIA WHITEHOUSE
2010
2011
VICTOR & ANNE WYLE
2011
2011
ANNE CECILIA WYLE
2011
2014
GRANT MIDDLETON
2014
2015
REBECCA WEBBER
2015
2020
 

Notes

27 February 1819

The Fountain Inn to be sold by auction at four o’clock on Friday 26 March unless sold previously.

All that long established and well accustomed Messuage or Tenement and Inn called the Fountain Inn situate on the Quay in Bridgwater with the out-houses and premises thereto belonging, now in the occupation of Mr Thomas Gaylor as tenant thereof. The whole is in excellent repair and possession may be had at Midsummer next.

The above premises will be sold for the remainder of certain long terms of years, equal to Freehold except a small part thereof which is held under the Corporation of Bridgwater for three healthy lives.

For further details apply to Mr Thomas Symes jun, solicitor in Bridgwater or Mr Mullins, solicitor in Goathurst, Somerset.

7 March 1928

Fountain Inn owned by Starkey, Knight and Ford was a fully licensed housed in good condition. The annual rent was £18, the rateable value was £17, and the gross £21. The licence duty was £20 and was paid by the tenant.

There were a public bar, smoke room, jug and bottle department and a cellar with an underground cellar which was not used.
The ground floor was a small private sitting room and a kitchen, both of which were very dark.

On the first floor was a large room used as a store and drying room and on the second floor three bedrooms and on the third floor two rooms.