Home
 
 
  The Globe Hotel - 2 Eastover  
 

The Globe Hotel formerly called the Commercial Hotel but changed the name under Henry Leaker.

First recorded licensee was Henry May in 1744.

Last recorded licensee was James Roberts in 1875

The Globe Hotel was destroyed by fire on May 31 1875 was left in a state of ruin for many years just being used as stores by locals.

It was finally bought in 1882 by the Y.M.C.A and turned into their Headquarters in 1883

Landlords to date are as follows
 
HENRY   MAY 1744 1750
GEORGE HARTNELL 1820 1822
JOB THYER 1848 1852
THOMAS THYER 1852 1859
HENRY   LEAKER 1859 1868
J H  BUDD 1868 1870
MR SWEET 1870 1873
JAMES ROBERTS 1873 1875