Main - History
 
 
  Royal Clarence Hotel - 2 High Street  
 


It was built in 1825 in the Regency style on the site of the former Angel and The Crown Inn. 

It was originally called the Royal Hotel until an occasion when the Duke of Clarence, later to become William lV, was passing through the town and changed his horses at The Royal.

First recorded licensee was Robert Maynard formerly of the Pipers Inn, Ashcott

Last recorded licensee was James Lloyd in 1980

 

 
Landlords to date are as follows
 
ROBERT MAYNARD 1825 1830
ELIZABETH MAYNARD 1830 1848
JEFFERY SUTTON 1848 1850
GEORGE WILLIAM JOHN  1850 1859
WILLIAM LONGHURST 1859 1866
JAMES LEAKER 1866 1883
JOHN LOOSEMORE TRIPPE 1895 1912
ALFRED EDWARD KING 1912 1928
HNERY JAMES WILLMOTT 1928 1930
JOHN HENRY THURLOW PEARCE 1930 1933
WILLIAM STANLEY JOHNSON 1933 1934
ERNEST ARCHIBALD BAILLIE 1934 1936
WILLIAM GEORGE ELLISON 1936 1949
EDWARD BING 1949 1954
GEORGE FRANK & JAMES  BURN - GRAY 1954 1960
ALICE M & GEORGE WILLIAMS - BURN 1960 1962
JOHN & MICHAEL FORD - MEEHAN 1962 1963
MICHAEL & JOAN  MEEHAN 1963 1965
JAMES LLOYD 1972 1980