Home
 
 
  Withy Cutter - Frederick Road  
 

Originally going to be called the Lorna Doone, Courage Western Ltd changed the name to The Withy Cutter due to public demand.


The Withy Cutter was on the corner of Frederick Road and Wyndham Road, had a skittle alley, two bars, a summer garden and parking for 20 cars.

The first Licensee was John Dark.

Last recorded licensee was Donna Watts in 2014

 

 
 
Landlords to date are as follows
 
WILLIAM JOHN OLIVER 1958 1958
JAN FRANCIS  DOUGLAS 1958 1960
JOHN & JEAN DARK 1966 1968
ALFRED & FLORENCE HANNAFORD 1968 1971
MICHAEL & PEGGY KIRBY 1971 1972
BERNARD & LAURA ROBERTS 1972 1973
WALTER JAMES 1973 1983
REES & JOYCE EVANS 1983 1988
GARY & JULIE EVANS 1988 1990
DAVID & CHERRIE PARKMAN 1990 1991
GORDON & TAMMY PARSONS 1991 1992
ANTHONY YARD 1992 1995
NORMAN & MOIRA TEMPLEMAN 1999 2000
DAVID SWANN 2000 2001
ROBERT CHEDZOY 2001 2006
TREVOR SYMONDS 2006 2010
DONNA GRIFFITHS 2010 2014
 

It was officially open by the Mayor Cllr Leslie J Porter on 23rd March 1966, watched by Mrs Porter and the “Withy Queen” Miss Sonia Mortimer of Pawlett, the Mayor unveiled the New Inn sign.

To mark the opening of the Withy Cutter an ale-garland was hoisted and ale-conners were invited.

The ale-garland was first used at least six centuries ago as decoration for the ale stake which by law had to be erected outside an Inn when a new brew was offered for sale, it was to indicate that the service of the ale-conner or ale-taster was required.

Somerset’s "Withy Queen" Miss Sonia Mortimer of Pawlett, hoisted the garland.  

After around 5 years of being left empty and and slowly fall apart, demolition of the Withy Cutter was eventaully started on Monday 12th June to make way for Houses